After the excitement of last week's twitch I decided to stay a bit closer to home yesterday, Despite the new 8 quid parking charge, Seaford Head still seemed the best bet to catch up with some autumnal migration! It did feel chilly enough first thing to be the start of that season as well!! Luckily I had remembered to take a sweatshirt!! Nice Sunrise to start, then straight into the action with a Whinchat and a Wheatear around the Dungheap!
 |
| Sunrise |
 |
| Continuing |
 |
| Whinchat in soft light |
 |
| Wheatear, reluctant to pose, Whitethroat also being evasive |
 |
| Wheatear on Dung, classic! |
I headed towards the aircraft beacon, the track had a few Whitethroats, Chiffchaffs and Goldfinch but all very flighty!
 |
| Common Whitethroat |
Headed down the path adjacent to the Golf Course, Stonechat down here, but again pretty quiet, things livened up at the bottom, 10 plus Stonechats, a couple of Wheatears and a feisty Rock Pipit who apparently has a problem with Wheatears!
 |
| Stonechat |
 |
| Rock Pipit attacking Wheatear |
 |
| Rock Pipit |
 |
| Wheatear |
 |
| Stonechat |
 |
| Distant Raven |
Love a Stonechat, lots of different plumages at the moment and always pose well! I was about to head off towards Hope Gap, when I glanced back over my shoulder, a white blob sat on the fence, Bins up, a juvenile Cuckoo, I go into full stalk mode, quite difficult as it's on the same fence I'm on so a good bit of leaning out but managed a few pics!
 |
| Cuckoo |
It eventually headed off across the golf course, so I resumed my walk I'd only gone about 20 yards when I noticed a bird sat on a fence post ahead of me turned out to be a very tame Kestrel
 |
| Kestrel |
 |
| It left the post several time to pounce on some prey, think possibly grasshoppers |
 |
| But soon jumped back on the post, must be very used to people up there as it was very cooperative |
I left him to his hunting and headed off towards Hope Gap. Not much along the cliff face, mainly Pipits
 |
| Meadow Pipit |
 |
| Rock Pipit |
 |
| Possibly a Willow Warbler on the West approach to Hope Bottom |
 |
| Another Meadow Pipit |
As I headed down into Hope Bottom I noticed movement along the top, a Green Woodpecker, I flipped back into full stalk mode, with some quality results!
 |
| Green Woodpecker |
To clarify "Full Stalk Mode, is me bent over slightly, moving even slower than normal!
Hope Bottom was pretty quiet, a Sparrowhawk flushed a small flock of Linnets, more Stonechats, there were a group of Ringers at the bottom of Hope Gap, seemed to be catching mostly Blackcaps, I gripped em off with my Cuckoo pictures and headed on along the cliff edge, nice Wheatear at the top with another Stonechat.
 |
| Sparrowhawk |
 |
| Wheatear |
 |
| A flock of 12 Curlew went past, here are four of em! |
 |
| Stonechat |
 |
| Wheatear |
 |
| Wheatear balancing act |
I decided to loop around the Cuckmere, I was hoping there would be Yellow Wagtails around the Cattle, there weren't! Pretty quiet all around, couple of Greenshanks, a Green Sandpipers and Godwit. Along with Little Egrets and Grey Herons!
 |
| Curlew out in the parched fields, wasn't a lot of water about so how they are getting on feeding I don't know! |
 |
| Little Egret |
 |
| Greenshanks |
 |
| Green Sandpiper |
 |
| Black-tailed Godwit |
 |
| Greenshank |
 |
| Little Egret |
 |
| Grey Heron |
 |
| Synchronised Preening |
I headed out of the valley and back towards the car park a Peregrine zipped past, more Stonechats and some nice butterflies!
 |
| Can't get enough of this view! |
 |
| Peregrine, in my defence it was shifting |
 |
| Stonechat |
 |
| Clouded Yellow |
 |
| Small Heath |
With more people arriving I decided on a final look up the track to the aircraft beacon, when it gets busy, birds often retreat here. Found another Wheatear, more Whitethroats, Chiffies and Goldfinches! The Peregrine, looking at the wingtips seemed to be the same one spiralled up above.
 |
| Wheatear |
 |
| Peregrine |
 |
| Goldfinch |
 |
| Clouded Yellow |
 |
| Every angle covered |
I headed back past the Dungheap, A scan of the fence line, Whinchat, probably the same one as this morning, so I finished where I'd started taking pictures of a Whinchat! Despite the best efforts of a Stonechat who relentlessly harassed it, the Whinchat managed to pose ok!
 |
| Whinchat |
What's that you say? Too many Whinchat pics!!! Sorry not sorry!!!
So not a bad wander 16000 steps done, numbers of birds weren't particularly high, Linnets and Goldfinches seem well down, hopefully numbers will increase through the Autumn, but what there was at least had the decency to show ok!!! Enjoyable morning!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment