Sunday, 16 August 2026

Duel at the Windmills

 Decided to head up to Jack and Jill Windmills yesterday in the hope of connecting with some migration. lots of reports of Whinchats and Wheatears on the Downs and Pied Flycatchers popping up here and there. Couldn't find any!! Not even a Chiffchaff!! Indeed the first half n hour was just Linnets and Pigeons!! A Hobby livened things up a bit and Sparrowhawk put the willies up everything! Even the Pond was quiet although it's little more than a puddle now, the Open Access Land opposite had 4 very noisy Buzzards, think the parents were trying to lose the kids!! I decided to return through the reserve where things took a bit of a spectacular turn!! More details below the first batch of pics!


The views as spectacular as ever


Red-legged Partridge

Hobby


Linnet

Linnet
Sparrowhawk

Linnet keeping it's head down!

Nothing but a tiny fence keeping me safe from this beast!

Sparrowhawk


Buzzard





Another Hobby


Raven, two pretty noisy ones in the Open Access land, competing with the Buzzards as to who could be the most noisy!



It's fair to say there are quite a few Linnets up there!


So by this point having walked blooming miles and seen not very much, I decided to head back through the Clayton Embankment reserve. I found a small flock of Corn Buntings and a couple of Yellowhammers which always cheers me up!

A Kestrel was hunting over the embankment ranging all over but never coming very close


It got a bit of grief off some Corvids

Yellowhammer

Corn Bunting









Linnet



So slightly cheered, I was enjoying the view over the Weald, the Kestrel was hovering about half a mile away when out of nowhere a Peregrine attacked, the Kestrel managed to avoid it with roll out! There the followed a dogfight that lasted about 15 minutes as the Peregrine made a  determined attempt to get it! But the Kestrel seemed to be too acrobatic for it, the Kestrel was calling continually as well, after about 10 minutes it seemed that the Kestrel lost patience and the tables were turned and for the last 5 minutes the Kestrel launched several attacks on the Peregrine, continually diving on it!! At one point another Kestrel joined in as well. This battle ranged along the embankment pretty much from Wolstonbury to Ditchling Beacon much of the action was out of range of the camera and the nature of the attacks meant pics were very difficult!! But I done my best, during this period the Peregrine, which I think is a Juvenile Female also attacked a Buzzard, two Gulls and several Crows!! It was defo on a mission, not sure if it is just youthful exuberance or if it is seriously deranged!! Exhilarating stuff!! Pics below which give some idea of the action!

Let battle commence

In the blue corner!Peregrine

In the Red Corner! Kestrel


Hot Pursuit





I nearly had it then, did ya see!!

Time to put it to bed!

Peregrine taking avoiding action


Looking for the next attack


Oh Bugger!


Where's it gone!!









Taking her frustration out on a passing Gull, which wasn't happy about it 



Oi! I ain't finished with you yet!


Round 2




I'm gonna mess you up!


Round 3



Superb action eventually the Peregrine drifted off over the Weald giving a Buzzard a buzz on the way out the Kestrel went back to looking for dinner, think it was a bit puffed up with pride a fearsome little beast! 
I headed back to the car park, more Linnets in the horse paddocks, but not much else to speak of!

Yellowhammer


Linnet





Church Pic

Different Windmill

So no migration on offer, although I did see a small flock of Swallows, but the Peregrine/Kestrel altercation will live long in the memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment