I have lived in Sussex for 14 years and was visiting regularly for the two years previous to that and for some reason I have never been to the Sheepcote Valley despite the fact that there is often good birds there and I only live 20 minutes away!! With a Wryneck reported earlier in the week and a weather forecast that suggested I would only have about 3 hours I decided today was the day. Arrived at sunrise and set off down what looked like a decent path, first impressions were that it was much bigger than expected and it all looked like good Wryneck habitat, which made finding one quite difficult!! proceedings started well with the first major bush containing a Reed Warbler, two Blackcaps a Whitethroat and a Whinchat sat on top!
 |
| Sunrise |
 |
| Moon still up! |
 |
| Heard a Stonechat and soon tracked it down |
 |
| Reed Warbler |
 |
| Not exactly showing well |
 |
| Whinchat, had to take the pics through the bush |
After that things went downhill! I wandered far and wide, the bushes were very quiet a few Whitethroats, couple of Willow Warblers, few Chiffies, there were 3 Kestrels hunting the area, but it was a bit of a slog.
 |
| Lots of Rabbits |
 |
| Blackbird |
 |
| Painted Lady |
 |
| A lot of the action was like this! |
 |
| Willow Warbler, the most posy bird of the trip had a right old preen |
 |
| Kestrel, there seemed to be two hunting together and another over the other side of the site |
 |
| Brighton |
 |
| Kestrel |
 |
| The local Magpies objected to the pair! |
I had reached the end, so headed up to the high ground adjacent to the Golf Course, more open country here, two Wheatears and a Whinchat along here, I hung around the area where the Wryneck had been a couple of days previously, but frankly it was like looking for a needle in a needle stack!!
 |
| Whinchat |
 |
| Wheatear, these were very flighty! |
No comments:
Post a Comment