Saturday 28 May 2022

Holiday Day 10: 14/05/2021 To Yell and back!!

 

Leaving  yesterday's rainy day behind us, we decided to head for the island  of  Yell, second largest of the Shetland Isles, the ferry was a reasonable £21 for both us and the car, so I booked us up and off we went , Toft from whence the ferry leaves is supposedly good for Otters but we didn't see any though we did manage a distant Black Rabbit, some Red-breasted Merganser and Terns in the harbour, we nearly missed the ferry as I decided to go to the loo whilst waiting, where things escalated💩,I know TMI, and I had to leg it past the other cars who to their credit didn't bib me, to our car, now in splendid isolation while the amused ferry bloke waved us on !! But I made it in the nick of time!! Margie hadn't even noticed sat in the car!!!😏😂

Red-breasted Merganser

The ferry to Yell by Margie

Black Rabbit by Margie

Mergansers by Margie!

Our plan on arrival in Yell was to drive as far North as possible, before slowly making our way South going right around the Island on the coast road, our initial destination Breckon Sands which sounded fairly intriguing, the trip there was fairly uneventful saw a few Bonxies, Curlews and Common Gulls over the moors but fairly quiet. Breckon Sands was largely the same, lovely scenery, but quiet on the bird front, few Wheatears and the usual Seabirds on the cliffs or flying past, lots of Rabbits, highlight was probably watching a farmer using his dogs to round his sheep up, the control he had was amazing to watch although at one point thought I was going to get rounded up with em😃!! 



The view to the cliffs by Margie

The Sands by Margie!

And again






Margie get some good pics of the Beach there, not many birds or at least none I could get pics of so amused myself taking pics of the waves, I like pics like this don't know why!




Margie found something interesting, I know not what!!

There were a few birds, Fulmar if you're by the Sea in Shetland there is usually a Fulmar

2 cy Common Gull 

Common Tern with fish

Common Tern without fish

We headed up to the cliff which was much the same birdwise!

Shags

Wheatear, not their usual posy selves 

Oystercatcher

Shag

Gannet going past



Some more pics of the impressive landscape by Margie below






There were loads of Rabbits about as well! Though I only managed one pic of one!

Margie made some animal friends!




From here we headed south following the coast road along the east side of the island with it's impressive views of Unst and Fetlar. 

Lesser Black-backed Gull






We ended up at a another beach, West Sandwick,  where he had more luck with the birds especially the Terns and I nearly got cut off by the rising tide!! But due to my athleticism managed to nip round the rocks and beat it!! Margie said I couldn't have been killed, as I dramatically claimed,  as all I really needed to do was jump up on the rocks which weren't that high😲! We met another couple here who had given up the rat race in Norfolk to move to Shetland!! 

West Sandwick beach by Margie





Me getting arty with the water!

Seal in the Surf

The surf was quite rough here and I could see a couple of Seals playing in it, I knew I had to get to higher ground so I shimmied up the rocks like a nimble mountain goat and not as Margie suggested a Hippo climbing a stepladder😲😂.

On higher ground note still rocking the one sock in one sock out look, has it caught on yet!! Bet they are all doing it in Paris and Milan!

Also note that Margie has taken these pics in such away as to cut out the height I'm at, thus much reducing the jeopardy!

Anyway the climb paid dividends because not only did I get better views of the Seals, but also spotted a couple of Great Northern Divers and a couple of Shags working the surf sadly too far away for pics but a nice Red-throated Diver was much closer!

One of the Seals, I think a Grey Seal but could be wrong


Red-throated Diver


Back on the beach it was all about the Terns, giving great views working the surf and the shallow water in front of the breaking waves, Arctic Terns  were all over the Isles saw them everyday, this was probably the best encounter photographically we had!! Was a lovely place in excellent weather! Cold and Sunny just how I like it!




Wasn't all Terns this 2cy Common Gull showed nicely as well








Always a Hoodie about somewhere










A few of Margie's beach pics below








Scene of my near stranding






Me in Action!!

We had to leave for the ferry though I could have happily stayed for ever!! Uneventful trip back, Mergansers still at the ferry port but not much else seen, but another superb day on the  Shetland Isles!

The ferry coming to get us!


Common Tern, mainly saw these at the ferry ports


Herring Gull


Male and Female (at the back) Red-breasted Mergansers



Curlew flew over while watching the Mergansers





No comments:

Post a Comment