Sunday 8 May 2022

Bonxie vs Gannet

 As some may know we are currently on Holiday in Shetland, posts will follow, but obvs living the birding dream means, sorting pics, writing blog posts, taking a bit of a back seat, however I thought I would share a bit of action I witnessed today off the coast of Mainland Shetland! I've done a bit of Seawatching in my time, some may say too much😲, others (me) say not enough, I've seen Skuas doing their thing on lots of occasions, mostly robbing Kittiwakes and Terns, I've even seen Bonxies harassing Gannets, but today was the first time I've seen one, hunt a Gannet and take it down, about as brutal as nature gets round here (unless your a starling on the wrong end of a Sprawk attack, obvs (see previous post))

 The action was fairly distant but think the pics get across the ferocity of the attack.

The pursuit begins



Getting Closer

Gotcha



















The attack continues



Things looking bleak for the Gannet




Seems to have recovered

And on it's way!

Lot of power in that body to go with a fearless nature!

It was heavy duty, prolonged attack presumably the Gannet eventually coughed up the food and the Bonxie went on it's way!! Fantastic viewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment