Friday 9 June 2023

Back Door Swifts!!

 There have been a number of Swift boxes put up in our area in an attempt to boost the Hurstpierpoint Swift population which has been declining, even in the ten years I've lived here. This scheme by Hurst Rethink, Save our Swifts, is an effort to address the steep decline in this species. We applied to get one but sadly they had run out so we missed out 😒, anyway they are playing Swift calls in an attempt to bring the birds in to investigate the boxes, this appears to be working and I had 4 this evening flying over the house, with more reported earlier by other observers. It is thought these are young birds investigating possible nesting opportunities for next season, so fingers crossed they return to breed in the future. I am not sure if any of the boxes are occupied this year as yet! When I lived in Suffolk our local church had a large colony and I spent many an enjoyable evening watching them screaming around just above my head, by the end of the breeding season there would be at least 50 birds, spectacular!! Lets hope in a few years the same is happening here!!! A few very poor pics below, they are much too quick for me to be honest!!  But I will be trying again in the near future!! You've been warned!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚












To be honest these birds torment me I'm not really sure why I bother they are way to quick for me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment