Sunday 31 May 2020

Insect Walk in the Blazing Sun

Now I'm not usually a creature that likes to go out in full sun, but being too lazy to get up early today and being extremely bored we decided to go for a Midday walk down the route off the B2118 we had taken a few days ago. (see previous blog) we hoped the nice breeze would keep us cool and the numerous flowers we had seen previously would been thronged by numerous Bees, Butterflies and other bugs for our delight and to take pics of. Despite Margie's protestations I went full sun hat number 1 today, she conceded that it was unlikely we'd see anyone we know, so it would be ok. Margie says she doesn't like the hat because "it makes you look ridiculous" but I am developing another theory along the lines that I may look so sexy in it she's frightened she may not be able to control herself ! As it happens we did see several other people and I didn't notice any overt smirks, which further adds credence to my new  theory, although Margie said she heard loud sniggers when they went round the corner, hmmmm! will have to do more research, I don't care anyway, at time of writing I haven't got a bright red neck or sunstroke and that's the main thing.
We didn't go far and although it wasn't the insectfest we had hoped for we still had some nice Damselflies , a couple of Dragonflies and a few other bugs , Birds were quite numerous as well, with good views of a pair of Bullfinch , a couple of Buzzards, a Green woodpecker and distant views of a Grey Heron that I tried my hardest to string into a Stork but photos proved me over optimistic, I also found 3 new Yellowhammer territories which I think brings me to 14 pairs found within 3 miles of the house and I haven't been East of the village yet!
Pictures below of some of the Flora and Fauna we found be warned there are pictures of me in the hat!!
All Pics by me unless otherwise stated!! I have attempted to ID the critters in them ,if you think they are wrong and can be arsed to correct them feel free to let me know!!

Thick Knee Beetle on Bramble Flower (By Margie)

Bramble Flower(By Margie)

Pink Flower? (By Margie)

Feather (By Margie)

Beautiful Demoiselle(By Margie)


Full action shot in Hat No.1 (By Margie)

Note how I'm evolving a super muscular platform to rest the Camera on 

Dog Rose

Meadow Brown? (By Margie)

Small Tortoisehell (By Margie)

Common Buzzard

Bulfinch (Female)


Beautiful Demoiselle



Male Bullfinch silhouette

Beautiful Demoiselle

Yellowhammer

Wolstonbury Hill

Beautiful Demoiselle (Female)


Broad bodied Chaser (Female)?

Dog Rose & Elderflower

Green-veined White

Buttercup

Dog Rose

Chiffchaff

No comments:

Post a Comment