For our 3rd day and with the wind still not playing ball we decided to head to Pendeen specifically the area below Geevor Tin Mine Museum to see if we could find the reported Wryneck and Red-backed Shrike! Predictably the Wryneck avoided us despite a concerted effort, it was during this search that Margie finally became a proper Birder! Up til now she has always said things like "I'm not a Birder, I like all Nature" and "All birds are lovely" Well after an hour searching for the Wryneck, Margie staring into some scrub said excitedly " I think I've got it!" followed by "its a f@#king Dunnock" gone was the sweet "I love a Dunnock" no "it's a f@#king Dunnock"ππππ welcome to birding!! πππ With the help of a couple of excellent young Birders we found the Red-backed Shrike. Alright they found it! But I refound it when it disappeared! π
 |
| Still a bit of fog on the old industrial landscape which though bleak is quite spectacular |
 |
| Meadow Pipit |
After a quick look for the Wryneck, Birders already present reported no sign, we wandered down to the sea, not many birds but we did see a couple of Harbour Porpoises.
 |
| Gulls |
 |
| Porpoise |
 |
| Industrial run off, but it looks very pretty |
 |
| Nice showy Kestrel |
We headed up the path where the Shrike was reported, one of the young uns had found it! Where it was located was quite tricky viewing wise, I ended up balanced on a wall but got some pics eventually!
 |
| Red-backed Shrike |
We retired to the museum cafΓ© for a very tasty lunch, while there the Young-uns came in, they had refound the Wryneck!! And had pics to prove it! We staked out the indicated area to no avail, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Robins and the subject of Margie's ire Dunnocks appeared and disappeared but the Wryneck never appeared, I've lost count of the Wrynecks I've dipped this year!!
 |
| Chiffchaff |
 |
| That F#@king Dunnock π |
We gave up, and headed to the Lighthouse, well we couldn't come to Pendeen without having a Seawatch! Was one Birder already present and he managed to get me on an Arctic Skua, a few Gannets a flock of Scoter and a pod of very distant Common Dolphins the best of it!
 |
| A Grey Heron |
 |
| Common Scoter |
 |
| Gannet |
 |
| Gannet |
 |
| Pipit |
Not a bad way to spend a few hours!
No comments:
Post a Comment