Tuesday 25 May 2021

Seabirds and Nightingale

 A day off today for an afternoon Dentist appointment, where much bravery was shown😰 Ok was the Hygienist and there wasn't that much bravery required😁!! With a day booked off work, I felt a birding trip out was on the cards, Margie agreed to walk to work, thanks hunny, so an early start was possible, with a fresh breeze, I felt a Seawatch was in order, so found myself at Splash Point at 5.45AM,  not dawn but not bad considering recent poor getting out of bed performance😏However the plan fell apart, the wind was in the wrong direction and was far to late in the spring for much going through, so after half an hour in which I saw 2 Gannets at a distance so extreme it took me ages to ID them and 3 Common Terns I decided to have a wander up the cliff and try for some pics of the local Kittiwakes, this is why I rarely find anything good, no sticking power and easily distracted by a good photo op!!

Newhaven Lighthouse

Herring Gull

Herring Gull on "the Basket"

So I meandered up the cliff to the bit I call the Chalk Plateau, cos it's flat and chalky! The wind was battering me and I was in 2 coats, hat and scarf and winter trousers and glad of it, note I didn't go to near the edge, firstly cos it has a tendency to collapse and secondly to minimise disturbance to the birds, although about 500 tourists a day doing selfies on the cliff edge doesn't seem to bother em much!! However there are a couple of spots where the angles conspire to provide great views and great photo ops of the birds. The advantage of it being windy was the birds were having a field day just hanging in the wind, especially the Fulmars,today was probably the most cooperative I've ever seen em!!

There now follows far to many pics of Fulmars and Kittiwakes

Fulmar









2CY Kittiwake

Kittiwake














Kittiwake Stack













Told Ya!!😂 Although I took over a 1200 pics on the cliff top, so count yaself lucky could have been a lot worse!!

It's not all Kittiwake and Fulmar from the cliff top a few other bits went by!

Corvid looking a bit tatty!

Herring Gull

Great Black-backed Gull


Quite a lot of these flowers on the cliff edge


This guy was miles up hanging in the sky for ages, indeed it was so long I was beginning to think it was one of those fake ones put out to scare the Gulls, unfortunately it stooped the wrong way and disappeared the other side of the cliff in a distant cloud of Jackdaws



2nd CY Gull I think Herring

So battered by the wind I retreated down the cliff windswept but happy enough, another birder was Seawatching from the beach and had seen very little, so right decision made! I decided as it was still early to have a walk around Seaford Head.

Fairly quiet and quite windy at The Head a few Swallows zipping about the fields, Hope Gap, finally out of the wind, and an improvement in the bird action, a Common Whitethroat at the top and nice to hear a couple of Greenfinch calling

Belle Tout



Swallow

Greenfinch

Surprised Robin

Plenty of small stuff flitting around but difficult to get on, I stopped to chat to a birder who was coming up the track, he informed me he had been listening to a Nightingale at the bottom of the gap, halfway down it became obvious it was still there even I can ID a Nightingale by song!!! Arriving in the area, I could hear it singing, which is always good, but getting a picture? Frustratingly on 2 occasions I located the bird moving a foot to the left, lovely clear view, raised the camera bird flits away!! It seemed quite frankly that it was taking the mickey, waiting to til the last minute on purpose, was I to to be outsmarted by a bird, to be fair it wouldn't be the first time!! However I had worked out that the bird seemed to be following a circuit either side of the path favouring 2 or 3 perches, I decided to stake one out, I melted into the bushes, ok I moved to the side of the path and waited, bingo excellent views and a few shots, after this knowing it was beaten the bird sang from the top of at least 3 bushes a real treat!! 

There now follows far to many pics of the Nightingale!!













A few other songsters were giving it large but to be honest they were no competition to the maestro

Blackcap

Chaffinch
DunnocK



Common Whitethroat

There were several of the usual local birds about, although only saw one Stonechat which are usually really obvious at Hope Bottom although it was blooming windy!!

Rock Pipit

Pied Wagtail

Stonechat

Linnet

Greenfinch
I walked back up Hope Gap and into the field where Harry's Bush is in the hope that the small wood would be sheltered enough for a Spot Fly or the like, but I got me angles wrong and if anything it was windier here than anywhere else. With the clouds gathering I decided to call it a day, probably just in time as I'd started to take pictures of Rabbits😂 A Robin on a stump and a final Whitethroat rounded things off nicely a very enjoyable morning!

Robin

Rabbit

Common Whitethroat



















No comments:

Post a Comment