Saturday 9 January 2021

Lockdown Exercise walk

 Luckily my Hurstpierpoint patch is only a mile from our house so can continue my wanderings under the Lockdown rules, although whether this is actually lucky considering the low numbers of birds about is a matter of opinion!! Was cold this morning and I was in near full winter gear, thermal T shirt, T shirt, Fleece, and both parts of my heaviest coat, also my super awesome winter trousers!  Though didn't go full Long-Johns or Russian Hat (it's only been cold enough twice to wear the Russian hat and both times I had to take it off as I over heated!! think it's designed for -20 and we don't tend to get that in Hurst 😁) suffice to say by the end of my 3 and a half mile exercise walk I was sweating like a Pig!!!!😂🐖. Margie had decided that staying at home doing housework and washing was more important than exercise!! I suggested she do what I do, put it in the basket, couple of days later it's done!! 😁 For some reason this didn't go down that well so I left in haste!!😆

Was the usual fare, mainly Tits, Thrushes, Robins, Dunnocks etc though couldn't even winkle out any Long-tailed Tits or Bullfinches this week😢as I wandered the glades and church areas.

Blackbird rootling around 

Mistle Thrush

Song Thrush

Redwing

Fieldfare

Robin

Blackbird

Stock Dove

Flyover Fieldfare

Slow stuff and at this point possibly channelling Margie my resolve faltered and I found myself taking pictures of squirrels oh the Shame!!😏

Grey Squirrel

Grey Squirrel
I headed up to the Vineyard, Starlings, Fieldfares, Redwings and a couple of Song Thrush feeding amongst the vines but hard to get anywhere near in the wide open spaces but nice to see them busying themselves in the grass.
Wren on a log.

Starlings

Redwing

At least a Robin posed well on a post

Song Thrush

I decided to turn left at the top of the hill and have a wander down to the deserted Golf Course not explored this area before several little ponds near the path, again it was quiet although one of the ponds had a coot on, though surprisingly no Moorhens or the hoped for Water Rail, was followed along the path by a Tit Flock all Great and Blues ,with one Goldcrest and a couple of Chaffinch, a Jay lurked in a tree and this week's distant Buzzard was on the floor rather than in a tree, several of the ponds were fringed with Reed Mace this always gets my hopes up with dreams of Penduline Tits but despite scanning pretty much every single reed head the only thing I could find was a Wren which to be honest wasn't that surprising!! 
Buzzard

Great Tit

Jay

Reedmace

Reedmace

Blue Tit


Wren
That was about it headed back a Dunnock posed well and there was a nice red plant but no other sightings of interest, dull cold, grey day not the best but at least out and about, hopefully a bit of sunshine might be about for tomorrows walk?! 

Red Plant

Dunnock

Dunnock



No comments:

Post a Comment