Day 3 saw us hop over the border to Devon to the Seaton Wetlands, another reserve I had heard of but never visited, if anything the weather was even greyer, though less drizzle! It's a nice reserve with some good hides, best birds were a Wood Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank with lots of other Waders present. A flock of Terns flew in and we saw another Kingfisher, but it didn't hang around for pictures!!
 |
| Redshank with Wood Sandpiper behind |
 |
| Wood Sandpiper |
 |
| Dunlin |
 |
| Common Tern, I think! |
 |
| Redshank |
 |
| Margie got a few shots across the reserve! |
 |
| This Black-tailed Godwit had a good preen |
 |
| Dunlin |
 |
| Spotted Redshank |
We popped into the visitor centre, from the hide there I saw a Reed Warbler but the reported Kingfisher didn't show up! They had some Harvest Mice in a tank, apparently there is a healthy population on the reserve. Margie thought they were cute but forgot to take any pics, so you have been denied the pleasure!
 |
| Reed Warbler |
 |
| Robin |
 |
| Young Greenshank, there was an adult knocking about as well, but I didn't get a pic |
 |
| Moorhen swam across the front of the tower hide, we had a Water Rail and Kingfisher from here as well but they didn't pose for pics |
 |
| Common Buzzard |
 |
| Chiffchaff |
 |
| Canada Geese |
 |
| Reed Bunting |
An enjoyable few hours. On leaving the reserve we thought we would head into Lyme Regis for a bite to eat, however Lyme Regis was full!! The nearest Car Park where there was a space was about a mile from the centre and at the top of an extremely steep hill, while I'm a big fan of walking down steep hills the thought of walking back up it decided us against it!! Luckily on driving around we spotted a sign for River Cottage, I quite enjoy Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's books and TV Programmes so we thought we'd check it out! River Cottage HQ was duly found and we found ourselves enjoying a very tasty lunch, wasn't even that pricey in the scheme of things and the food was very nice. I also invested in a couple of bottles of organic cider which were also very tasty!!!
 |
| River Cottage HQ |
 |
| Chocolate Brownie, Gluten Free, actually not the best Brownie I've had, bit stodgy and not gooey enough in the middle, though it was tasty! |
 |
| Pork Belly, lots of fat, melted in the mouth, Potato Wedges, possibly the nicest wedges I've ever had and a sort of pickled Coleslaw which was delicious |
 |
| Margie went for the Yogurt Pannacotta, which she said was delicious, especially the Honeycomb. I can confirm the bit of Honeycomb I nicked was tasty! |
 |
| Kedgeree, Margie said it was tasty, though should have been more fish and got a bit samey after awhile, think she was jealous of my Pork Belly to be honest! |
A very nice meal, the staff were very friendly as well, we decided to call it a day and headed back to base for an evening of Cider and Hot Tub! Still no pics sorry!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment