Saturday 10 February 2024

GF Chelsea Buns!!

 Now as my both my regular readers will recall, I'm partial to a Cake and/or a Bun.๐Ÿ˜‚ Since turning Gluten Free for the sake of my bowels and dignity๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฑ, I have been attempting to create bakes to replace those I'm now missing!! I have been quite successful with Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Fridge Cake and various flavours of Victoria Sponge that have been on a par if not better than those  made with wheat and both my Christmas Cake and Christmas Pudding were virtually indistinguishable from those made in previous years!!! Not just my opinion๐Ÿ˜‚!! However bread and buns are a different kettle of fish, the commercial versions are pretty poor, although M&S Gluten Free, Tiger Rolls and Spiced Buns are nice they are both much heavier than the real thing!! Chelsea Buns have always been a favourite of mine and I made some delicious ones back in 2021 BGF (before gluten free) !! See the link

Glutenated Buns  

Traditional Chelsea Buns, look good don't they!! They were delicious!!

So the question is, can I get close with a Gluten Free recipe, to be honest I'm not confident!!

I found a recipe online, see the link!

GF Chelsea Bun Recipe

It looked a lot of Phaff!! But with a poor weather forecast for Saturday morning, I decided to give it ago!! Couple of issues, despite my Daughter buying  me a load of different flours for Christmas, they were all different to the ones required๐Ÿ˜!! Reluctant to buy even more, I made a few substitutions, bit risky but hey ho! The recipe suggested various different dried fruits, but I'm old school and went Sultanas and Raisons, these were to be pre-soaked overnight, the recipe suggested Orange Juice but I'm hardcore and went Brandy๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฒ I know recipes, who needs em!!๐Ÿ˜

Organic Raisons and Sultanas, heavy on the Sultanas


Selection of the Flours I will be using!

At this point I discovered the Yeast I had in the cupboard was Best Before End 2021!!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฑOops!! However the warm water and sugar worked and it was soon bubbling nicely!!

Three large Eggs

Psyllium Husk!! 

Mix together husk and eggs!





Milk & Butter

Carnage!!!!

 Well bubbly yeast

Melted milk and butter

The flour mix





All mixed together

Beat a bit

and we have dough, told you it was a Phaff!!

Bung it somewhere warm

Doubled in size!!


This recipe makes sixteen buns, so you split the dough in half make one lot of Buns for the oven and one lot for the freezer, so two lots for one lot of phaff so not to bad!

The brandified fruit is now covered in sugar and mixed spice! Luckily I didn't eat too much of the mix!


Despite being a bit sticky the dough comes together quite well


Rolled out!

Cover in melted Butter then put fruit on!


Roll it up!


In the baking dish

Back in the airing cupboard


While it's proving, repeat for the freezer


Just about doubled in size

looking ok!






So the verdict!! Eaten warm they were very tasty, surprisingly light and even a but fluffy, a tad rubbery but far better than any GF versions I've had from the shops!! What they will be like cold?  We will find out later!!๐Ÿ˜‚A success but not in the same league as the original version, but at least I won't have to run to the bog half n hour after eating them ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’ฉ!! In reality I wasn't expecting them to be, but they were a lot better than I expected! Worth the phaff? Yeah just about and possibly would have been even better had I followed the recipe's flour selection!!!!๐Ÿ˜‚

No comments:

Post a Comment