Saturday 22 October 2022

Raddey Hell!!

 Actually Radde's Heaven but that wouldn't have been such an amusing title!!😁 Arrived at Beachy at about sunrise, followed Birdguides directions to exactly where the bird wasn't grrrrr! wandered back to towards the car, spotted a couple of birders who had just seen the bird, a bit of a wait, short trek back to the car to buy a ticket, returned, bird showed like a dream!! A lifer for me perfect!!

Radde's Warbler










Cracking little bird, just before it appeared a Brambling landed behind us calling!! Showed alright as well!

Brambling



It had been my intention, to rock up, tick the Radde's then spend the rest of the morning birding Beachy, was looking quite good as well with a couple of flocks of Thrushes flying about. However on my drive in I'd seen signs "Runners in the Road" and a bit of discussion with a couple of Hi-Viz jacketed guys in the car park revealed that some plonker had organised the Beachy Head Ultra-Marathon, Marathon and 10K in the middle of Autumn Migration, how inconsiderate.!!

Now obviously in my younger days (at this point anyone who actually knew me in my younger days, should skip a couple of paragraphs, sparing themselves the need to call me out over the outrageous fibs I'm about to spout!!😂😱) I would have donned the lyrca and knocked out a couple of Marathons, not so nice since they changed the name to Snickers😂, however nowadays watching highly trained athletes just exacerbates my insecurities and hurts my knees so for the sake of my mental health and traffic chaos that would inevitably occur I decided to relocate to Seaford Head!

Arrived at about 8.30 very quite along the top, arrival at Hope Gap, a very vocal Snipe was zipping around the sky!

Snipe
I walked down the Gap, had a look at the Sea and walked back up, fairly quiet, a Blackcap and a Chiffchaff and about 200 Goldfinches the highlights!
Goldfinch



Lots of Robins about today




Blackcap

I wandered down past Harry's Bush again fairly quiet, more Goldfinches and Robins some Meadow Pipits with the cows, luckily in adjacent field!!

Meadow Pipit



The bottom path was also fairly slow, Stonechats in the field and a couple of Redshanks on the pond, then a minor miracle, a Green Woodpecker that didn't fly off within 8 nanoseconds of me spotting it!! first on a fence and then when it did fly it was just a few yards into the field, must have been a tasty ant nest it was digging around in as it was there for ages, indeed it was still on show when I left and that never happens!!

Green Woodpecker













I know too many pics but don't get them sort of views often!! Got to the Cuckmere, loads of Canada Geese, a large roost of Gulls, they were reasonably close and I scoured them for something rarish. Was one I thought could be a Yellow-legged Gull, pic below! Plenty of Curlews that were mostly sleeping the other notable sighting! Couple of Grey Plover flew over as well!

Curlew

More blooming Goldfinch

Nice showy Dunnock

Rock Pipit

Snoozing Curlew

Could the front bird be a Yellow-legged Gull seem to have a dark mantle and the legs did look yellow!

Meadow Pipit

Goldfinch

Grey Plover


 I walked along the cliff back to Hope Gap, was a Pipitfest on the slope on the west side, with tame Rock Pipits and several Meadow Pipits, including a very brown one although I think it was just a Meadow Pipit! More Goldfinches up the gap as well! 
Rock Pipit


Meadow Pipit

Stonechat

Rock Pipit

Meadow Pipit



Stonechat

Goldfinch on Teasel


Meadow Pipit
So a successful morning, think the Swallows have finally gone as didn't see any, was quite surprised at the lack of Thrushes, a few Blackbirds were skulking about in the bushes but couldn't turn them into Ouzels! But always good to get a Lifer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment