Saturday 19 March 2022

Wolstonbury Wander

 With the A27 shut for the day, I abandoned any idea about going for a Seawatch, be carnage down there! So decided to stay local and head up to Wolstonbury Hill, hope for a Wheatear or two and possibly a bit of a Raptorwatch, Osprey heading north perhaps, I thought about taking me scope but Margie wisely pointed out that the extra weight would basically cripple my back!! Initially I was touched by her concern, though I think it was more she didn't want to listen to me whinging about my back rather than actual concernπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜²πŸ˜² though I could just be too cynical!! (Turns out Margie was right it would have been a waste of time and it would have killed my back!) The weather forecast of a nice sunny day with a bit of an easterly wind was encouraging, always difficult to decided what to wear in the circumstances went semi-thermal with hat, scarf and gloves 2/3s of which were in my pockets by the end, it was quite strange out of the wind, boiling hot, in the wind, freezing!

I actually woke up before the alarm so arrived at the bottom of New Way Lane just before sunrise, which was quite nice,  Yaffling Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming as I opened the car door was a good start as well!

Told you it was just before Sunrise

The Moon, in case you was wondering!πŸ˜€


Ram

Sunrise

Bit laterπŸ˜‚

So from the car, headed along the front of the hill, through the woodland bit, very quiet, small flock of Redwing, which I couldn't get a picture of and a calling Nuthatch I didn't even see, apart from that, there were a few Blackbirds, Dunnocks and a Wren. Things improved as I went through the gate and started up the hill, calling Chiffchaff, a small flock of Blue Tits and several Goldfinches knocking about. 

Rabbit, yes I know, but Margie decided to stay in bed so I had to take this sort of thing!! But you will be glad to know I resisted the Pheasants!!😁

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Blackbird

As I climbed up higher the views get better

Blue Tit

It actually dropped the Caterpillar at this point!


Chiffchaff, wouldn't come close sadly!

The Downs 
As I climbed higher, the sound of Skylark song dominated although Meadow Pipits in display flight pushed them close, I wander around the top and around the South side, trying to get pics of both species with variable levels of success! First Raptor of the day when a Red Kite drifted up the valley, didn't come that close but looked bright in the sunshine!
Meadow Pipit

Skylark, once again I resume my quest to get a decent flight pic, with little success!



Red Kite


Proof I made it to the top!

Fair to say visibility wasn't the best, Jack & Jill windmills in there somewhere!! 

Skylark





Hurstpierpoint Church from the top!

Skylark



Meadow pipit


Another attempt!!


Skylark


Second Raptor of the day Common Buzzard came from behind and I was slow to get on it!

More hazy views!

Another Skylark

Goldfinch

Meadow Pipit in a bush!
So as I was wandering the middle slopes a movement caught my eye and a Raptor came bombing through, Peregrine, going like a rocket, as I tracked it pretty much blinded myself in the Sun!! The pictures were silhouettes I've lightened the one below!

Peregrine
I regained my senses and ignoring the flashing lights in my eyes followed the bird in my bins as it headed out over The Weald, amazingly it soared around in a circle and headed back, again at top speed, this time ready for it and with the sun behind me the pics are slightly better!

Circling, deciding it's next move, before zooming back towards me!








Peregrine at top speed is always exhilarating, a sense of urgency, excitement and danger that top predators exude!! As soon as it disappeared around the hillside, a Red Kite appeared from the trees below me, an advantage of the elevated position is you get views of birds that you don't usually see!

Red Kite





So I headed back up to the top, I know, again!! 18000 steps today😡😲 mostly uphill!! More of the same ,Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, though I did manage a distant Stonechat.

Meadow Pipit, eyes to the skies, not a surprise with the amount of things that want to eat him flying about!


Stonechat

Meadow Pipit



Skylark

Still hazy!

Meadow Pipit,good view of the long hindclaw!


I was thinking of heading back, when a glance over my shoulder, gave views of two Peregrines, in display flight, fabulous but distant, nearly put me back out tracking em, photographing Peregrines may be an extreme sport!! At least when I do it!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜², The birds drifted off along the Downs, last seen going over Devil's Dyke!! No sooner had they disappeared than they were replaced by three Buzzards also displaying, also distant!

Peregrine




Common Buzzard




Things quietened down so I decided to head down the hill, no advantage to this, it's so slippy, it kills the knees, calf's knackered on the way up, knees and thighs on the way down!! A lose lose situation!! On the path I found a set of Car Keys, usually I would put stuff found in an obvious place and leave them, that might work with a glove or hat, but seemed a bit dodgy with car keys, so I put them in my pocket, luckily a couple of minutes later a couple appeared doing the classic slow walk, scanning the ground, I waited til they got close then held the keys up, don't think anyone has ever been so happy to see me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ must be what it's like to be popular!!!! 😁 The walk back to the car was quiet, the Chiffchaff was still in it's  tree and the invisible Nuthatch was calling in the wood. I popped into the Alpaca fields near the car in the hope of a White Wagtail, there were Wagtails but were the most Pied, Pied Wagtails I've ever seen, also very distant!! Some nice Wood Anenomies and some Whirlygig Beetles in a puddle the highlight!

Wood Anemones  

Yes I know!!

Distant Pied Wagtails


Whirlygigs 


No sign of any Wheatears but a fun morning, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits in full song all around, there were loads up there, is always life affirming and Peregrines are always impressive, brings home the brutality of nature, the circle of life kill or be killed. 


 









No comments:

Post a Comment