Saturday 19 June 2021

Front Door (& Back Door) Birding

  With a dubious weather forecast,I decided no Birding today, instead will attempt my yearly DIY session by re-siliconing around the bath,now I don't generally do much DIY it doesn't usually go well and I'm not that keen to be honest. All was going well today I was just finishing up, when Margie announced "there's a Red Kite outside", I've seen Red Kites from the house before usually circling high up or flying powerfully over so I carried on with the task in hand "two now" Margie shouted up. I carried on "there's another one right over the house!!" she continued. dragging myself away I proceeded downstairs and thought I had been  magically transferred to Gigrin Farm with Red Kites swooping down all over😲, ok wasn't quite the same as 150 birds swirling about ya head but was a pretty good show, most of the action was a bit down the road,so don't know if someone had put some food out but they patrolled the roof tops for a good 15 minutes, one minute around the front then out the back, I was going back and forth, light was terrible but got a few pics, think at least one of the birds was a juvenile,  A few weeks ago I saw one carrying nesting material over the patch so could be local successful breeding!!? After 15 minutes the birds drifted off and I went and finished the bath,Margie complaining that she had to spend longer cleaning up the mess than I spent doing the DIY😏!!! Although I now,after several years living here, know where the hoovers kept😀

 In other news had a delivery of Organic Pies today!! Whoop pretty hard to find Organic Pies so I've got big hopes for these!

A few pics of the Kites below

I think this is a Juvenile Bird due to the pale vent but happy to be corrected

This gives an idea of the height the birds were at

Margie got two of the birds in the same shot


More Rufous bird with dark streaking which I think means adult?

Was mainly the youngster that came the closest







At this point I was distracted by a Swift high up!

Swift

A few more Kite Pics😂


Margie's picture, judging by the Primaries this is a 3rd bird,I saw 3 at once and Margie said she had 4 in her sights at the same time!








Lots of  Kite food in the garden with at least 5 fledgling Sparrows being fed and plenty of young Starlings about, but probably to small an area for the Kites to swoop down and grab one!

Bit risky for this fledgling Sparrow sitting out in the open like this

Seems alert enough

Feed me Papa!! (through glass)

Shame about the light, hopefully this may be come a regular occurrence and I will get another chance when the sun shines!! Still a nice surprise after toiling for nearly 40 minutes!!! Margie has pointed out I forgot to mention she had to come and get the silicon gun working for me😆!! I was going to mention it honest guv!!
Three footy games to watch now,gonna sleep well tonight








No comments:

Post a Comment