Sunday 21 June 2020

Salvage Job!

With the weather looking a bit dodge for birding ,may go out later, as so often happens I turned my attention to cakes  with the ingredients I had to hand ,the best option was a spiced Ginger Cake that Google kindly supplied the recipe for ,it knows me so well!!!
It started well, although I couldn't work out how to grate Stem Ginger so went down the finely chopped route, plenty of Organic Ground Ginger, Organic Mixed Spice and Organic Cinnamon went into the Flour Mix (think I'm writing Organic to much, just assume ingredients are Organic unless otherwise stated from this point on!)
Black Treacle, Golden Syrup and Dark Muscavado Sugar went into a saucepan (None of these ingredients are Organic as can't seem to get them for love nor money, so I may have gone down the assume all ingredients are Organic route to early!!) This looked and smelt well tasty as I heated it up.

Finely chopped Stem Ginger chopped it some more before it went in as well!!

Flour Mix resembling fine breadcrumbs, if you like you're fine breadcrumbs not to fine!


Black Treacle, Golden Syrup and Muscovado Sugar heating gently smelt so good!! Could try it as aftershave!!



So far so good ,added Milk, heated mix to near boiling point poured, into flour mix, stirring well break in the egg, beat well til mixture goes stiff ,always good :) , pour into prepared tin ,pop into the oven at 160 fan and Bob's ya proverbial!! One problem, I like my Ginger cake loaf stylee, like ye old Jamaican  type! recipe was for circular tin, lets just say there was slightly to much mixture but rather than as Margie suggested taking it out and making two cakes I decided to persevere with the plan and pop the tin brim full of hot bubbling mixture straight into the oven, This apparently because is "I'm a Man and know everything" which is big of Margie to confirm really. Luckily Margie had instructed me to put it on a baking tray, so intense was this period of the process I forgot to take pics!!!

Slightly overfull cake tin (don't worry it will be fine)
The tension was gripping would it stay in the tin, obviously not was coming over the side within minutes!! 35 mins later cake is out of the oven smelling mighty fine but looking a bit sorry for itself to be polite!
Cake with overspill!!
To be fair we soon polished off the overspill ,which was delicious, seems to be a bit of a dip in the top presumably some kind of shrink back ,but I figure serve it upside down with some custard be good to go!! 

Trim it up a bit load of Custard be epic!!
So not a complete triumph but with a bit of imagination and a load of custard the situation can be saved which when you think about it is true of most situations!!







No comments:

Post a Comment