Sunday 14 June 2020

Patchwork

Today we paid another visit to  the area near Hurst, that we have discovered during the lockdown, we have visited a few times now and have decided that this is going to be our official Patch. Now for my non-birding friends a patch in birding terms ,is an area that a birder visits on a regular basis throughout the year to record what's there, ideally this should be near their place of residence, now I have never really had a patch before as I've never really known of an area close to home that has enough variation in habitat to keep me interested, in that it  has the potential to produce some interesting birds throughout the year, well after the first few visits I'm am fairly confident this area has it, Thick hedges, a small river, several acres of meadows, some Farmland ,a bit of scrub some patches of mature trees, some small lakes, and a Churchyard with some mature Yews in it and the birds seen so far in the couple of visits we have made suggests it could be good, we will see, I will try to visit every couple of weeks which as it's only a couple of miles  from home, should reduce my road miles, thus boosting my green credentials!
The best bird of today's visit was a Spotted Flycatcher ,however I made the rookie error of going for the Bins first ,which gave me a good view of it ,but by the time I'd sorted the camera it had exited stage left never to be seen again , despite my vigorous searching of the area hopefully it will stick in the area and I will get it next time!!
At this point I will apologise for the quality of todays pics, was a really grey day and I've had to lighten the hell out of em to get any detail!!
We arrived at the parking space, could hear Whitethroat, Skylark and Yellowhammer while I was putting me boots on which was nice ,the first part of the walk is round the edge of a field ,where a wide  margin has been left for flowers, a male Yellowhammer was sat on a wire and posed ok for pics.

Field Margin Flowers

Male Yellowhammer
Once out of the field and across the track , the footpath opens up into a wide glade surrounded each side by thick hedges, the path meanders through stands of Nettles, Campion and other stuff I don't know the name of ,plenty of birds can be heard here and although it's get a bit late in the season we heard Chiffchaffs and the odd snatch of Blackcap song.

Glade

Chiffchaff mid Chiff or possibly Chaff

Interesting plant
Margie at this point is busy taking pictures of bugs while I have various attempts to take pics of  a Buzzard, we had Buzzards at various points along the walk, not sure if the same one or different but would suggest at least two maybe three different birds
Buzzard Lightened to death

Meadow Brown possibly?
Speckled Wood (by Margie)

Possibly Harlequin Ladybird  (by Margie)

Ladybird (by Margie)

Hoverfly (by Margie)

Don't know what these are but will probably be having nightmares about them tonight 
                                                                                   (by Margie)



At this point ,I should point out that while Margie loves bugs and taking pictures of them , they tend to like biting her, on our last walk here she received a bite on the hand that required antibiotics to treat it and at various locations around the country she has been bitten to death by various nasties, she claims this is because she is so sweet and I'm not brave enough to disagree!! Now I feel this is a small price to pay to be in the wonder of nature, although I acknowledge that it's easy for me to say, when I'm not the one paying!!
Further along the track the path opens out into the meadow type areas dotted with trees and bushes and today we spent pretty much the rest of the time in this area wandering the various paths taking pictures of anything we came across, highlights included a male Great Spotted Woodpecker, with a young'un, a very feisty Wren (love these guys a few grams of attitude), several Chiffchaffs, Whitethroats, Nuthatches , a Kestrel , several Swallows, a Green Woodpecker, the aforementioned Spot Fly and numerous bugs ,including the first Marbled White Butterfly we've seen this year.

Skipper?

Male Great Spotted Woodpecker


Wren letting everyone know he's about

Marbled White Butterfly

Kestrel (Record Shot)


Chaffinch



GSW with offspring

Chiffchaff

The Patch (by Margie)

The Patch (by Margie)

The Patch (by Margie)

After a happy couple of hours wandering about we retraced our steps the Yellowhammer was still on the wire his Missus had joined him, more Buzzards including one that burst out of the hedge just in front of us ,nearly giving me a heart attack!! It was so close i couldn't get it all in with my big lens ,although Margie's smaller lens came into it's own and she managed an excellent picture, although my "oo-er missus" reply to her smug ,I managed to get it all in comment wasn't that well received  πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… I can't help it i try to be politically correct but was raised on a tv diet of Benny Hill and Are You Being Served? Sometimes it just slips out!!πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡oh no it's happened again! See I can't help it!! Luckily we had reached the car this point and I was able to escape the full withering glance with only minor damage!!

Buzzard close encounter (by Margie)


Female Yellowhammer

Final Buzzard Goodbye

This ,by the damage to the wing,seems to be a different Buzzard to the close encounter bird.
So that's the Patch will try to get there regularly ,every couple of weeks or so at different times of day ,although I am notoriously fickle at sticking to things like this!! But I will defo be back after that Spot Fly one evening next week!!

All pics by me unless otherwise stated.



.




No comments:

Post a Comment