Sunday 30 July 2023

That time of year!!

 Christmas!!!!!!! Or rather preparations for it!! With the Pudding all done and in the cupboard maturing nicely, it's time to do the cake!! Before they put the electric up again!!  Last Wednesday I put the brandy in the fruit as per Mary Berry's instructions!!

A mixture of Organic Currents, Sultanas, Raisons, Apricots and Glace Cherries in a quarter of a pint of Organic Brandy and Sherry ( I ran out of Brandy doh!) bit of Orange Zest in there as well, which means I've been eating Organic Oranges at work all week!!

I follow this  Christmas Cake Recipe from the Legend that is Mary Berry, made it for the last few years and it's a cracker, heartily recommend!!! I do take a few liberties, the fruit mix I do is less Currant heavy, I prefer Sultanas and I add in the apricots as well!! The recipe also calls for blanched Almonds, which I forgot to buy!!😏So I put in some chopped Brazils instead!! Also this year I've gone Gluten Free see this post  for the reasons why, Gluten Freedom so I've used Gluten Free flour, in general you need more liquid, it's a bit trial and error, so I've gone with an extra Egg and a bit more Black Treacle, this has worked in ordinary Fruit Cakes so fingers crossed!!

Margie's contribution, apart from licking the bowl, is to construct the grease proof paper lining for the tin, a complex and vital task that I have no patience for!!!

Chopped Nuts

Construction Underway

Dark Muscovado Sugar 

M&S Organic Butter a lucky Ocado swap!

Gluten Free Plain Flour

The Good Stuff put it in all my fruitcakes now shame it's not Organic but can't be left out 😢


Starting the process

Looking good

Adding the fruit in, more fruit than cake!!

Nicely Combined

The results of Margie' efforts, relatively little swearing this year😲

Ready for the Oven



Margie doing the washing up!!

4 hours later and jobs a good un!!! Now to feed with Brandy for a few months, until it's time for the Marzipan and Icing!!
 
If it tastes as good as the raw mixture it will be great and if it tastes as good as the cooked cake smelt it  should be amazing!!!😁 Fingers very much crossed!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment