Saturday 28 January 2023

Murky Morning!

 Having been told of a large flock of Yellowhammers in the local area, I decided today was the day to go and look for them, so I rocked up at the appropriate stubble field, at first all seemed quiet, I wandered up and down the path for a while, thinking that they had probably moved on, was just about to head off when a flock of 8 birds flew across the field and landed on the far side, I tracked back around trying to locate them, more flocks arrived landing in the tall trees around the perimeter. I counted 65 at one point, but even more flew in so all in all would say there were at least 100, probably more!!! The light of course was terrible and getting close to the flock in open country like this practically impossible, but as we know my middle name is dogged perseverance and I stuck at it using my best ninja skills! Couple of Mistle Thrushes on the field as well, and numerous Skylarks, I estimate there were at least 40 Skylarks on the fields as well!

Wolstonbury Hill in early morning gloom

Yellowhammers

Mistle Thrush


Skylarks

Yellowhammers



Got a bit closer





So as you can tell pants pictures, but gives some idea of what was occurring, the big lens is not conducive for photographing big flocks of birds! Things were made more difficult when a Peregrine buzzed the field, which didn't exactly settle things down!!

Peregrine





I decided at this point to have a walk down to the bottom of Church Lane and have a wander around "the patch" with a view to returning for another crack at the flock in better light later.

I headed off across the fields, on the footpath obvs, quite a large flock of Meadow Pipits seen at one point harassed by a raptor but way to distant to ID it! There were a couple of Redwing, a few Fieldfare, winter thrushes have been few and far between this year! A buzzard in a tree, a Kestrel in a different tree, a flock of four Jays which I got no pics of, heard a few Nuthatches, a singing Song Thrush that I couldn't get eyes on, a couple of Roe Deer that gave me the eye, but overall was a long slog for not much reward, very muddy in places as well!

Mistle Thrush

Buzzard







Kestrel

Redwing



Roe Deer

Meadow Pipits, yeah I know the pics are getting worse!

So I arrived back at the field the flock was still present but feeding on the floor, pics were pretty much impossible as the birds easily kept me at distance, the trouble was the field only had paths on three sides so once the birds relocated which they did regularly it meant walking about half a mile to try again! The birds were also constantly triggered by the Skylarks chasing each other about, but there you go at least a couple of the Skylarks had a bit of a sing song which was nice! Few Linnets, a couple of Goldfinches and a hedge full of House Sparrows also spotted as I relentlessly pounded the perimeter of the field scanning with the bins constantly. Relentless is also my middle name, you now know why my christening took 5 hours!!

House Sparrow

Song Thrush


Skylarks

Yellowhammer, the closest I got and that was buried in the hedge!








Linnets

Singing Skylark

Very difficult to spot in the field

Oh look there they are again right over the other side of the field!

A fairly frustrating morning from a getting pics point of view, but great to see such a large flock of birds locally, showing the importance of leaving a field or two as stubble. Can't remember the last time I saw quite as many Yellowhammer as this. Hopefully in the next couple of months I will get better pics as the birds return to their territories and start singing!!  

On arrival home a couple of Buzzards were circling above the house which was nice, then the mighty Leeds United strolled into the next round of the cup which was also nice and I made a Gluten Free Chocolate Cake which was very nice, hurrah!!!

Buzzard above the house, all the cloud now gone, kin typical!

Buzzards being harassed by a crow, though they were harassing each other as well!

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Butter Cream, Kirsch soaked Cherries and a chocolate glaze! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment