Sunday 27 February 2022

Hurst bits n bobs!

 Having seen a post in a local wildlife group, suggesting there was a Little Owl in the area thought I would have a crack at finding it last evening, failed miserably!! Did see a large flock of Goldfinch going to roost and an ok Sunset but Hurst remains stubbornly Owl free for me in recent times (Can't remember the last Little Owl I saw to be honest!!)

Goldfinch nicely lit by the setting sun

Part of the Goldfinch flock, think I can count about 40+ birds here so probably at least 70 in the whole
 flock maybe more, which was a surprise!
The setting Sun



A few Fieldfare going to roost


So no luck may try again tonight if I've got the energy and inclination.

This morning  we had been invited to join the Hurst Meadows volunteers on a bird walk/survey around Hurst Meadows an area in the village which is being managed for nature and the community. Unfortunately Margie was feeling a bit under the weather so it was left for me to attend, I'm not generally a fan of group birding preferring to be on my own or with another person mainly because  I'm an unsociable bugger, (if everyone had my attitude Covid would have had no chance!) but also because despite the extra eyes, the talking etc generally means you don't see much. We were to meet at "the Owls" at 8 o'clock because I thought Margie was coming, I'd set the alarm for 6.30 to allow for "getting ready" time, which of course, in her absence  meant I was ready to go too early!! I also realised I wasn't sure where "the Owls" (carved out of wood for some reason) were. Margie looked up from her sick bed and gave me vague directions and I set off on foot!! The weather was glorious ,sunny blue skies though a bit of a chill wind. The walk through the estates was uneventful with lots of Sparrows, Starlings, Blue Tits, Woodpigeons, a flyover Pied Wagtail and a couple of Goldfinch seen,

Woodpigeon



Goldfinch posing in the road


I reached the Meadows, following Margie's directions a few Meadow Pipits flew up from the grass and a couple were having a preen in a bush, light was terrible but I got a pic, a Green Woodpecker flew up and onto a Telephone Pole and promptly disappeared around the back of it, don't they always! However a bit of patience and it edged back around, looks like a male though the red moustache is fairly dull, think it can just about be made out!

Meadow pipits


Green Woodpecker


All the waiting around had made me a bit late so hurried on and despite a few wrong turns found "the Owls" There was only one other person present but the rest soon turned up, We would be lead by Georgina, I know from her posts on the local Facebook group that she is very knowledgeable about all things Nature, the rest of the Crew were Trudi, who is the creator and admin of said Facebook Group, Jess, Valerie and the other bloke in the group Nick, so not too many !! (hope I got everyone's name right apologies if not, I've got a terrible memory!!)  introductions were made and we headed off through the Millennium Gardens, fair bit of common stuff Blackbirds, Wrens, Dunnocks etc a Chaffinch flew into a tree and a Thrush turned out to be a Redwing which due to my usual useless directions, I'm not sure if any the others managed to get on it!! 
Our route basically took us through the Gardens then a loop around Hurst Meadows themselves, we heard a couple of Chiffchaffs, the first I've heard this year, though seen a couple already. There was also a Greenfinch calling from high in a tree though pics were difficult.

Blackbird

Blue Tit

Partially obscured Greenfinch
Once on the Meadows, we soon heard Skylarks singing and had good views of a couple having a scrap, which I attempted, with out much luck, to get pictures of, managed a few of the proud victor though or loser it was hard to tell really😂!

Skylark singing!



Incoming Skylark



1st winter Herring Gull, several Gulls over the Meadows

Think this Cherry Blossom possibly!!
We looped around, saw some Mallards flying,  a few Meadow Pipits, a Stock Dove but fairly quiet really, we got back to the start, with the rest of the group heading off, I decided to head back around, I followed the path down to College Lane, the highlights from here were a Bullfinch, with a couple more heard calling and a Goldcrest, however the thick scrub made pictures impossible though I did manage some of a couple of very showy Blue Tits! 
This one was a bit of a scruffy herbert


This one was a bit more dapper


I retraced my steps and headed home across the Meadows, managed a record shot of a Stock Dove and a Dunnock at the entrance posed nicely, we had  heard several singing earlier, Black-headed Gull on an aerial was the best of the walk home though plenty of Sparrows and Starlings again!!
So a very nice walk around, nice to meet the group, a lot of good work gone on at the Meadows with lots of trees planted and seems some good plans for the future, hopefully it will kick on from here and become a special place for nature!! Dogs owners permitting 😏
Stock Dove

Dunnock

Black-headed Gull


















No comments:

Post a Comment