Sunday 18 October 2020

Masked Shrike

 My last day before returning to work after a very enjoyable week off apart from the trip to the dentist obviously, I had planned a lazy day finished off by eating my weight in Roast Dinner!! 😲However news of a Masked Shrike just down the road decided me otherwise!! Shrikes are always good and a Masked one would be a lifer, I know your imagining a Bird in a mask now ain't ya!!😊Always topical!

When I say just down the road, it was quite a long road, 90 miles each way!! But all dual carriageway and I arrived on site just as it was getting light, although by the time I'd walked the lane to the hedge where the sighting had been, it was fully light ,another yomp with Scope, Camera and Bins my poor back😂  although at least I managed to look through the scope this time!! A couple of birders already present "no sign so far" Uh-Oh!! So we waited, various bids appeared in the hedge, Chaffinches, Goldcrests, a Robin, there's always a Robin!! But no sign, some Bramblings flew over calling, Redwings and Fieldfares were about,as were a couple of Buzzards things were looking grim, in my head I was doing the just give it another half hour speech when a keen eyed birder in the group spotted the bird in the hedge behind the hedge we were looking at, well done sir!! 

The bird pretty much stayed in that position for the rest of the time I was there although moving nearer to us as time went on though trying to get pictures through our hedge was quite challenging!! The bird was quite active catching insects and avoiding being mobbed by some Blue Tits. 

My best efforts at trying to get a picture below, there are a couple of Redwing pics as well to break up the monotony!

Distant Masked Shrike

Active Masked Shrike

Grumpy Masked Shrike

Pensive Masked Shrike

What you looking at Masked Shrike

This is my best side Masked Shrike

hmm Masked Shrike

What's that over there Masked Shrike

Redwing

Fluffy Masked Shrike

Well Balanced Masked Shrike









So after a couple of hours taking a load of pretty crap pics hoping it would come through to our hedge it didn't!! I made the long trek back home!! Fabulous little bird looked stunning through the scope hopefully it will show better for more skilled photographers and the can take some pictures that will do it justice. 

Now where is that Roast Dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment