Saturday 11 July 2020

Chelsea Buns

So when I was young we used to go on holiday to Dolgellau in Mid-Wales, stayed at the Grandparents or Nain & Taid as the welsh would have it, Were many highlights of these holidays Nain's Welsh Cakes and Bread Pudding, Taid letting us use the chain saw and the axe and taking me for a pint when dad weren't looking😀 Cricket in the Garden, fishing/swimming in the river, sneaky walks for a fag, which probably got me into nature. But one of the Highlight's were the Chelsea Buns, from George Lewis bakery, down the back alleys of downtown Dolgellau. Now these Buns are legendary the bakers is long gone but the memory lives on. I have given up trying to find a Chelsea Bun to compare, most are dry covered in sugar or worse them white chip things, so where am I going with this Nostalgia fest, well today I decided to try an recreate them myself!!
So made me dough,kneaded it a lot!
Kneaded Dough

Place In Bowl
Put in a Bowl and leave for a cup of hours

Swelled Up Nicely
Two hours later roll it out spread with butter and sprinkle on secret filling mix and roll!
Sprinkle with Secret Mix

Roll with it
Chop into bits and arrange in Tin

Ready for the Oven
Cook for 30 Mins then Glaze 

The Finished Product
Looks Better out the tin

Out of the Tin
Warm out the oven
Still Warm!!
So after all that were they as good as George Lewis, well hot out of the oven ,it was close and the texture was as close as I've had, but my memory says not quite there, although in my defence, they had to knock the wall down to get the oven out when the bakery closed, don't think I can compete with that kind of hardware!!








No comments:

Post a Comment