Thursday, 8 October 2026

Holiday Cornwall, The Lizard

 Typically on our arrival in Cornwall, the God of Seawatching decided that the previous weeks wind could do one and that Cornwall would look good covered in fog!!! This seems to happen whenever I venture into Cornwall in 3 visits yet to have a spectacular Seawatch that the area is famous for, either there is no wind or I'm in the wrong place when there is wind, which technically is my fault but I prefer to blame fate!
Despite the fog, we decided to head to The Lizard, stopping of at Kynance on the way to look for Wrynecks in the area where we have seen them before, not much about, a few Chiffchaffs, Stonechats and Meadow Pipits in the main. The Fog wasn't actually that bad here.

Chiffchaff


Herring Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Stonechat


Meadow Pipit



On to The Lizard, The Fog was back!! An enjoyable walk, notable for 100s of Swallows feeding along the Cliffs, interesting to see the archaeological diggings right on the point! We found a few Wheatears, fair few Linnets and Greenfinch and plenty of Pipits, a couple of Choughs settled on the cliff for a couple of minutes. Nice to see several Seals as well! Margie captured the fogginess quite well!

Margie even captured a Swallow in flight which was more than I managed 







 
About the best I could do on the Seawatching front! A lone Gannet

I had literally said "I'm surprised that Foghorn isn't going off", when this happened was deafening! 


Robin

Stonechat

Greenfinch


Couple of Swallows having a rest, gave me a chance to get a pic!


Linnets

Greenfinch


Greenfinch

Meadow Pipit

White or Pied Wagtail, I'm leaning towards White!

Wheatear

Wheatear

Grey Seal

They always look chilled out

Possibly youngsters having a frolic




Meadow Pipit and some nice colourful Lichen

Fog seemed to roll in and out!





Chough, so evocative to hear them calling in the fog!



Rock Pipit in some colourful flora!


Swallow

Wheatear, showing the white arse for which they are named!















Stonechat



All in all a nice walk around, afterwards we stopped at Brenda's Beach Café in Coverack where I had a very nice Crab Salad and Margie had Squid, but best of all they had Gluten Free Scones so we had a cream tea, served warm it was delicious if you are Gluten Free and in the area I highly recommend it! Luckily I clarified the situation and applied Jam first to avoid any unpleasantness, they are pretty hot on that down here!! 
Afterwards we had a walk down to the beach at "The Loe" Wryneck reported the day before, couldn't find it!! Another nice area though!

There were a lot of Gulls flying off the Loe onto the beach

Still some lingering fog






Kin big Caterpillar


Stonechat

Wall Butterfly

Frisky Wall Butterflies lots of trembling wings


Big flock of Goldfinch near the car park

Not  a bad day considering the weather conditions!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment